I/GCSE Subject Options
Dear Year 9 Parents and students
For the first time in your child’s schooling, they will be able to choose some of the subjects that they want to study. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity and one that marks an important stage in becoming a young adult. We have a number of support opportunities that are designed to help you make these decisions. Throughout the process you will be able to interact with the middle school team, subject teachers and myself. On our school website HERE you will find:
- A set of subject specific PowerPoints with outlines of subject content as well as assessment
- A comprehensive Curriculum Prospectus (To be published 22 February 2021)
- An options process timeline
To ensure our students have the breadth of experience to optimise choices for their senior diploma, our Years 10/11 Programme of study is divided into two sections: Compulsory Subjects and Optional Subjects.
- English Language (AQA 8700) and English Literature (AQA 8702)
- First Language English (CIE 0500)
- International Mathematics (CIE 0607)
- Additional Mathematics (CIE 0606) for selected students
- Co-Ordinated Science (Double Award CIE 0654)
- Science of Wellbeing (Non-examinable)
- Physical Education Diploma (Non-examinable)
Students will choose up to four optional subjects, one from each of the following groups
There are no prerequisites in the IB Diploma Programme or Careers Programme except for Languages which means that you do not have to study a subject in Year 10 and Year 11 in order to study it in Year 12, although a continuum of learning, where possible, is recommended.
Over the holiday you may wish to discuss these subjects with your child, and explore possible combinations. When we return to school we will be actively engaging in the options process. This will begin with our Options Assembly on Thursday 25 February.
Other Important dates for your calendar can be found HERE
We look forward to taking this next step with you.
Have a wonderful Chinese New Year.