Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
I hope this email finds you well.
You may have read this morning that one of our IGCSE examination boards, Pearson/Edexcel, have announced the cancellation of all their IGCSE examinations this summer. This comes almost a month after we learnt of the cancellation of GCSE examinations.
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify what this means for STC. Ofqual (who regulate our examinations boards) are currently undertaking a consultation process with a report due to be published on Monday 22nd February. Until this report is published, and each exam board has released their official plans, we will not know the exact details. What I would like to offer below is a brief synopsis of what we do know at this time:
- AQA has said that GCSE exams will not go ahead this summer.
- AQA proposes using grades from assessments, alongside coursework (where relevant), other formal assessment results and mock exam results to calculate final grades.
- Pearson has said that IGCSE exams will not go ahead this summer.
- They have not confirmed plans for how students will be assessed.
- Cambridge IGCSE exams are proceeding in May/June.
- No further statement has been made at this time.
Therefore, to all our I/GCSE students, our message remains the same. Regardless of the subject, and whether you currently expect to be assessed through an examination or another assessment method, please continue with your studies, for all your subjects, as normal. All of the work you do between now and the completion of the course will continue to be important for ensuring that you achieve the best possible outcomes.
We will update you further as soon as we have more information.
As always, if you have any questions at all do not hesitate to contact me.